by Rev. Darryl Thompson Powell | July 11, 2012
BRING BOOKS THIS SUNDAY (JULY 15)!
Purpose: To leverage the members and friends of the ELCA to flood a geographic area with books that encourage a passion for reading.
What is the process?
Get books to New Orleans in one of the following ways:
1) Donate using your credit card via this link: http://www.gulfcoastsynod.org/books.html
Through our partnership with Scholastic Books, get more books for your financial investment (4 books for every $15) and you don’t have to travel with books. Pass this link to all your friends and family. Put it out on facebook and on your own webpage – let’s go viral with this! Pick up your MBP sticker at the Gathering to wear so everyone knows you are part of the Million Book Project.
2) Bring books! Choose books from the list below and bring these books with you to New Orleans when you come for the ELCA Youth Gathering. Drop them off at the Convention Center when you register and pick up your sticker to wear so everyone knows you are part of the Million Book Project. Please do not bring used books. It is important for us to respect the list of books that are requested by the educators in Louisiana so sticking to this list is part of the MBP. The cost of books ranges from $2-$18 per book depending on your selection and if this is a paperback or hardcover book.
3) Order on Amazon before June 10! Use the book list on page 2 to order books and have them shipped for you. All orders must placed before June 10 and be labeled and addressed to the designated warehouse, according to the instructions found at www.gulfcoastsynod.org/books.html so that they get to the right place!
What happens next?
1. MPB Book Festivals - The books you bring will be sorted and boxed.
The boxes of books will be delivered to Book Festivals we are hosting all over
the city of New Orleans as part of the MBP on Saturday during the Gathering.
Any books not given away at the Book Festivals will be distributed to children
through the New Orleans Recreation Department (NORD) and Communities in
Schools (CIS) over the next few months.
2. MBP Reading Camps – The Gathering will host MBP Reading Camps at multiple sites during the Gathering. All the children attending these camps, in partnership with NORD, will receive books to takehome after practicing reading the books.
3. MBP Libraries – The Gathering will be building libraries in NORD centers and in local schools so that books can be made available throughout the year. Some of these libraries will expand to include Baton Rouge and other cities near New Orleans.
1. 100th Day of School by Reagan Miller
2. Anna & Natalie by Barbara H. Cole
3. Amazing Faces by Lee Bennett Hopkins
4. Baseball Saved Us by Ken Mochizuki
5. Bein' with You This Way by W. Nikola-Lisa
6. The Birthday Box by Leslie Patricelli
7. The Birthday Swap by Loretta Lopez
8. Book Fiesta by Pat Mora
9. A Boy Called Slow by Joseph Bruchac
10. Coyote Places the Stars by Harriet Peck Taylor
11. The Dancing Dragon by Marcia Vaughan
12. Days to Celebrate by Lee Bennett Hopkins
13. Enemy Pie by Derek Munson
14. Giving Thanks by Chief Jake Swamp
15. Hand in Hand by Lee Bennett Hopkins
16. Hush! by Minfong Ho
17. I Love Saturdays y Domingos by Alma Flor Ada
18. Jingle Dancer by Cynthia Leitich Smith
19. Look at the Baby by Kelly Johnson/ ages 2-3
20. Lin Yi's Lantern by Brenda Williams
21. Lion Dancer by Kate Waters and Madeline Slovenz-Low
22. Louis Sockalexis by Bill Wise
23. Martin's Big Words by Doreen Rappaport
24. More Than Anything Else by Marie Bradby
25. My Father's Shop by Satomi Lchikawa
26. My Name is María Isabel by Alma Flor Ada
27. Nobody Owns the Sky by Reeve Lindbergh
28. ¡Olé! Flamenco by George Ancona
29. One of Us by Peggy Moss
30. One World, One Day by Barbara Kerley
31. The Last Black King of the Kentucky Derby by Crystal Hubbard
32. The Moon Over Star by Dianna Hutts Atson
33. The Pirate of Kindergarten by George Ella Lyon
34. Peekaboo Morning by Rachel Isadora /ages 2-3
35. Planting the Trees of Kenya by Claire A. Nivolaby
36. Powwow's Coming by Linda Boyden
37. Rich by Nikki Grimes
38. Saltypie by Tim Tingle
39. Same, Same But Different by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw
40. Seeds of Change by Jen Cullerton Johnson
41. Some Kind of Love by Traci Dant
42. Suki’s Kimono by Chieri Uegaki
43. Throw Your Tooth on the Roof by Selby B. Beeler
44. Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto
45. Uncle Peter's Amazing Chinese Wedding by Lenore Look
46. Up and Down the Andes by Laurie Krebs
47. Whoever You Are by Mem Fox
48. Wings by Christopher Myers
April 1, 2012